My mother used to have an amazing chicken curry recipe in her cooking repertoire. I can’t remember the last time she made it, but I have been craving the dish for months. When creating this week’s menu, I proposed using the chicken in the freezer to make chicken curry. Ian immediately pulled up Food Network’s site and found this recipe. The reviews were great, so we added the ingredients to the grocery list. Let me just say…. WOW. The dish was phenomenal! Ian stated that it was the “best meal in recent memory.” I should warn though, this was not a quick meal. From start to finish it was about 40 minutes to meal time (I cut VERY slowly). For me, that’s a time commitment… but it was worth it. Just make some rice with it and you will be set!
1.5 lbs chicken, boneless and skinless
2 Tbsp. oil
1 medium onion
2 carrots, peeled and cubed
2 tsp. cumin
1 1/2 Tbsp. curry powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
4 tsp. flour
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/4 cup heavy cream
Salt & Pepper, to taste
1. Cut chicken into small cubes. Add oil to a large skillet and brown chicken. After the chicken is browned, remove from the skillet and transfer to a plate. Cover the chicken and set aside.
2. Add onion and carrots to the skilled and saute until onions are clear.
3. Add cumin, curry, and cinnamon. Stir to coat.
4. Add flour, stir, and cook for 30 seconds.
5. Add stock and stir until thick.
6. Return the chicken to the skilled and simmer until the carrots are tender (about 20 minutes).
7. Add peas and cream. Stir well and cook until hot.
8. Add salt and pepper to taste.